Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Thank You

Well I have been back in Canada now a week.  The jet lag was incredible the first three days.  I was surprised at how hard it hit me.  I talked with Barnaby Craddock, from Silver Medal men’s basketball team, and it has hit him just as hard.  So this is good news I am not a wimp.

After a week of resting and explaining the experience I feel the need to thank some people.  First Sandy McDonald,  A friend of mine from Grande Prairie.  He was the actual person who kept the blog  going while we were in China.  Since it was virtually impossible to get on any social media in China,  I had to write the Blog and email it to Sandy.  I gave him access to the blog so he could post the writing for me.  For those who know Sandy, you know he wouldn’t just cut and paste, he found pictures and links to information that was mentioned on my blog.  I think he actually did a better job with it than me
Second, the coaching staff.  It was a great experience.  Thanks Alain for agreeing to work with me.  With out that I wouldn’t have been able to have this great learning and life experience. I als o want to thank Alain for being a tolerable roommate. 6 Weeks Sharing a room is tough on anyone, but add the demands of competition and training it brings everything to a peak.  I had a couple of meltdowns that Alain listened too and rationally talked me back from the Proverbial ledge.  Joely, was the fun maker.  She always was upbeat and found a way to connect with the team to keep them upbeat when things got mundane, not the easiest job. Joely really showed her positivity when we had a hiccup with her accreditation and she found a way to contribute and keep things positive.  That was a great role model for our players who were having doubts with their roles. Joely also got the Karaoke night rolling which was one of my favourite memories of her.  Christine our therapist, she deserves two thanks u’s. 1.  for doing her job over and above.  Making sure everything was great. As mentioned in a previous blog, she absolutely loves her job and it shows in her work.  2. Not for killing me when I tried to be funny on the buses. One day I will make you laugh out loud.

Third, the athletes,  all of you truly are champions.  I have so many memories that each of you contributed too.  From our fun rock paper scissors, evolving to Princess, Hunter, Bear.  To just sitting and listening to your stories, I had an opportunity talk a little with each of you one on and one and discovered your passion for life.   I have to admit I am jealous of the opportunities that are lying ahead for all of you.  I hope that I have the opportunity to work with all of you again. But if not the saying goes teams that win together are bonded for life.  Our 11 place trophy will bond us all for life.

  Good luck to all of you this upcoming season, except when you play the mighty Bobcats...then its jinx jinx  jinx  Know that I am cheering for all you.

1 comment:

  1. I think sandy needs to do a little better on the typography part...too many typos got through to be a legitimate contender in the blogospere.

    it was cool to read about the team. thanks carter!

    ReplyDelete